wmw999

Texas Muslim Capitol Day marred by protests

Texas Muslim Capitol Day anti-Muslim demonstration.

I guess some people think America is only for Judeo-Christians or people who look and act just like them :|. Everyone has freedom of speech, but this just is rude. And unacceptable response from Rep Molly White.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

I guess some people think America is only for Christians :|. Everyone has freedom of speech, but this just is rude. And unacceptable response from Rep Molly White.

Wendy P.

This manner of ... ilk.... recently did similar shit in successfully threatening-down Duke University's plan to have a Muslim call to prayer emanate from its bell tower. This disgusting group of thugs and intimidators were led by "Reverend" Franklin Graham, the wanna-be son of Billy Graham, who generally promotes himself by claiming to speak on behalf of the teachings of Jesus Christ, fighting the good fight in defense of the "War against" the +/_80% of the American population who are born into Christian families. To Duke U's shame, they (mostly) acquiesced to the blackmail.

Iago

***Texas Muslim Capitol Day anti-Muslim demonstration.

I guess some people think America is only for Christians :|. Everyone has freedom of speech, but this just is rude. And unacceptable response from Rep Molly White.

Wendy P.

I'm curious if there is a reason it has to be 'Texas Muslim Capitol Day.'

Why not just 'Texas Capitol Day?'

In Texas, every day is Christian Day. Grinds people's gears so much to give Muslims one lousy day?

People say they don't see Muslims as truly American, and that they never see themselves declaring themselves as American, or as declaring themselves against terrorism.

This demonstration was from before a lot of the terrorism (it goes back to right before the Iraq war and shortly after 9/11, when Muslims were being attacked for looking Muslim). It would have lost effectiveness as a demonstration of Muslims being American had it simply declared itself as an "American" day, dontcha think?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Wendy P.

I dont agree with how you have framed this
Only for Christians?

I guess that is what you need to do to support your position
And it is funny (to me anyway) that supposed anti muslim demostrations are biggoted but anti christian demostrations are free speech

One thing I do agree with
As stated in your link
Democracy is messy
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

at least 1 of the Senator's has it right

"People of all faiths deserve to be treated with respect and dignity in our state's Capitol while they exercise their rights in a peaceful manner," Ellis said in a statement to the Chronicle. "We felt the need to stand in solidarity with Texas Muslims in the face of virulent hate speech and bigotry."
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

You're right about my statement being too Christian; I've edited it.

I am wondering when there was an anti-Christian demonstration that I agreed with?

Wendy P.

wmw999

You're right about my statement being too Christian; I've edited it.

I am wondering when there was an anti-Christian demonstration that I agreed with?

Wendy P.

The comment about free speech was in general to some on this site and not necessarily you

Change to your post noted too
Abraham Lincoln

Iago

***People say they don't see Muslims as truly American, and that they never see themselves declaring themselves as American, or as declaring themselves against terrorism.

This demonstration was from before a lot of the terrorism (it goes back to right before the Iraq war and shortly after 9/11, when Muslims were being attacked for looking Muslim). It would have lost effectiveness as a demonstration of Muslims being American had it simply declared itself as an "American" day, dontcha think?

Wendy P.

Actually, no I don't think that. I believe they are doing more continual damage by trying to maintain a unique identify as Muslims with activities such as this.

Why, yes! For another example, the damage done to American values by annual St. Patrick's day parades and the like has been immeasurable.

Andy9o8

******People say they don't see Muslims as truly American, and that they never see themselves declaring themselves as American, or as declaring themselves against terrorism.

Wendy P.

Actually, no I don't think that. I believe they are doing more continual damage by trying to maintain a unique identify as Muslims with activities such as this.

Why, yes! For another example, the damage done to American values by annual St. Patrick's day parades and the like has been immeasurable.

Of course of course
They are the same

should have known......
Abraham Lincoln

Andy9o8

******Texas Muslim Capitol Day anti-Muslim demonstration.

Wendy P.

In Texas, every day is Christian Day. Grinds people's gears so much to give Muslims one lousy day?

This is why things are so divisive. Because people want to divide instead of unite. "Every day is Christian Day." No it isn't unless you want to look at it that way. Every day in Texas is Texas Day. We've got Christians in groups trying to build their group up against others. Then we have Muslim groups building theirs up against others.

The fewer groups we have to set each other apart the more we have to keep us together.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

*********Texas Muslim Capitol Day anti-Muslim demonstration.

Wendy P.

This is why things are so divisive. Because people want to divide instead of unite. "Every day is Christian Day." No it isn't unless you want to look at it that way. Every day in Texas is Texas Day. We've got Christians in groups trying to build their group up against others. Then we have Muslim groups building theirs up against others.

The fewer groups we have to set each other apart the more we have to keep us together.

Some people feel you can't coexist with people who want to kill you.

Iago

Well, from the link:

Thursday marked the seventh annual Texas Muslim Capitol Day in Austin, when hundreds of adherents of Islam visit the Capitol to meet with lawmakers and learn about the democratic process.

It sounds like one of those "mixers" where people of differing backgrounds and cultures are given a chance to meet and learn about each other.

You know, promoting understanding and trying to reduce stereotypes and prejudices.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

There was a shitty made facebook post going around that went something like(paraphrasing). "I am all for Islamic tolerance, recently there was argument over two mosques being built side by side, I am all for it. As long as it works the other way also, and the Muslims are tolerant of us putting a strip club on each side of the mosque, and a pork bbq joint across the street" :D

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

And if you're doing it to be an asshole, then that still makes you an asshole. And I know you know I don't mean you personally -- English just doesn't have a good non-personal way of saying that

Wendy P.

wmw999

And if you're doing it to be an asshole, then that still makes you an asshole. And I know you know I don't mean you personally -- English just doesn't have a good non-personal way of saying that

Wendy P.

The Queen's English does. One should know that.

Yea I am sure it was meant to be an asshole statement, but on the face of it its true. If one set of people wish to be treated with tolerance, you must show tolerance to those that do not believe the way you do. Dont beating a girl 3/4 to death because she wants to go to school.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

>I was referring to the damage they are doing to themselves as a unit which stalls and
>prevents their acceptance by the larger public.

And think how much damage Christians do to themselves by insisting on Sundays off, and insisting on having Christmas be such a big stinking deal. This is supposed to be a melting pot; if they don't want to melt, they should leave!